Monday, September 29, 2008

way better than church

I'm kidding, mom.

Sunday morning was an awesome experience. I finally got to run in the Tunnel to Towers run.
Here we are towards the end of the race. Mrs Finkle, Nicole and I are in this picture but Joanna was ten paces ahead. (Mrs. Finkle is in the gray shirt in the middle, Nicole in the blue shirt next to the lady in the hat, me in the white shirt on the other side of the lady in the hat.)

I don't even know how to begin to describe this event.

As a girl who cannot make it through singing the national anthem without crying, this event was overwhelming to my patriotic senses.


First, we line up with 15, 000 other people for this run. Some of them are firefighters in full gear, some of them are military men and women, people who lost loved ones
on 9/11 and they are blasting Neil Diamond's Coming to America over the speakers. I am a sucker for Neil Diamond anyways and this song always gets me. (In the above picture is a squad of men and women in their full battle fatigues with their packs. Wow.)

Then we sang God Bless America and the Start Spangled Banner.

Did I mention that I cry during the national anthem?
It took us 10 minutes to get to the starting line after the race started.

These men and women chanted their way through the tunnel. It was an amazing sound and sight. Again, I got teary.
You exit the tunnel to see a line of firemen holding American Flags and pictures of all 343 firefighters who died that day. That first picture is of Stephen Siller whose family started this race in his honor and to honor all of the rescue personnel. Again, I got teary.
As you run past these men, they are cheering, smiling and giving high-fives.
The men wearing their firefighting gear were amazing. The tunnel was so hot and I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I cannot imagine running with all that extra weight. One man that ran by me was in shorts and t-shirt but wearing his helmet. He was dripping with sweat.


We did it and we're going to do it again!

(well at least I am and anyone who wants to join me.)

Thanks to Seleta and April who watched Addy for me so that I could run.

Check out all of the links for more pictures and stories.

9 comments:

Anna said...

Thanks for coming up with the idea, Amy. It really was incredible!

Jenn said...

That looks like an amazing experience.

Anonymous said...

Awesome!

Susan said...

Willa and I enjoyed these pics, but according to Willa you're missing an important part..."More Jack"

Joanna said...

your title made me laugh out loud in my quiet house. I am in for next year and every year after that. Thanks for the idea and for inviting me.

Deborah said...

You gals are awesome!

Henderson said...

I love the title of this post! It looks like you guys had an amazing time, what fun!

Mary said...

Very cool. I'm sad I didn't join you. Maybe next year. Incidently...you ladies look skinny, skinny, skinny!!

Nancy said...

Hey Amy,
Loved your post. Thanks for finding me on Facebook... glad we're now friends. hehehe. Love your blog. Your kids are so cute! You're hair is cute too, I haven't seen you in a REALLY long time! Anyway, there's a link to my blog on facebook. Loves!