Sunday, October 4, 2009

Where did they go?

To Maine to eat lots of lobster. Even lobster cookies.
Seriously, we (Ryan) ate lobster every day we were in Maine.

This was the view from the front window of our cabin. We were right on Atkins Bay near Popham Beach and watched the tides go in and out. Never did figure out the tide schedule but it was beautiful.


I want a screened in porch with a hammock.

Jack loved this plastic lobster that was on the porch. He slept with it and even showered with it. He spent 30 minutes in a shower by himself singing and soaping up this lobster.

One morning as he was waking up, I over heard this conversation that he had with the lobster.
Lobster: "I'm a spider."
Jack: "You're not a spider you're a lobster."
Lobster: "I am a lobster."

Jack did two different voices for this conversation and it still cracks me up.
Stairs down to the water from our cabin on the hill. Lots of rocks to climb on and sticks to throw. Plus lots of pine cones to pick up and put in our treasure bags. Jack spent Sunday morning walking up and down the hill to "check on the water."

Popham Beach at low tide. You can walk on the sand bar to the rocky island for a climb. The kids loved the beach even if they had to wear jackets and the water was freezing.

Addy was shivering before we had to pull her screaming from the surf. She loved letting the waves flow over her feet.

We stopped at the Ocenarium Lobster Hatchery before heading to Acadia National Park. Jack got to hold a sea star and
touch a lobster.
The highlight of Acadia National Park for Jack was this view of a cruise ship. He wanted to ride on it so badly. When we got close to it in Bar Harbor after dinner he asked to touch it. Acadia is gorgeous and we had a great sunny day to enjoy it.

Making Sand castles at Reid State Park. Addy is wearing the trademark 5 piece swimsuit which includes a swimsuit, pants, t-shirt, sweatshirt, and fleece jacket. Still a great day even though it was breezy and cold.
Addy was not afraid to get a little dirty.

York Beach on a beautiful sunny day. On our way home, we stopped in York to enjoy the sand on a warm day and to see this
This lighthouse is great and we spent our lunch hour viewing it. As my mom said, "That is what they call picturesque."


I spent most of the trip trying to convince Ryan to move to Portland, ME but he says I wouldn't like it as much in February. Maybe he is right, but I certainly love to visit in September.

7 comments:

Anna said...

That is so beautiful. Looks like a great time.

k1 said...

Yeah, I think I could live there, too. Or at the very least visit frequently.

Which is when our vacation home on the beach will come in handy, right?

Deborah said...

We love Maine, also. It is a wonderful place for little kids. Beautiful pictures.

Heather Jewell said...

I am so jealous! That is one of the places that we still haven't had a chance to do, but really want to.
What beautiful pictures, and I love the conversation between Jack and the Lobster. That's great.

Stephanie said...

I love the picture of the sandy feet! Maine is beautiful. We are actually contemplating moving there or New Hampshire when we are done here! It looks like you had a wonderful time!

nvandermeid said...

What beautiful pictures! One of my best friends was a ranger in Acadia National Park for 2 years. It's a gorgeous place to visit!!!!

esmiley said...

I remember going to Popham Beach as a kid. I still remember that sandbar. We were in Maine the weekend before visiting Portland and then up to my grandparents. It truly is an AMAZING place.