I had a terrible, horrible, no good very bad day. I think I will move to Australia.
It all started when we woke up late for our first day back to church. We made it on time and even had a little time to spare but I arrived stressed. Jack made it through the sacrament and then started to melt. He and I spent the rest of the time wandering the halls and eventually meeting up with the other kids in the primary room to wait out the meeting. Ryan got to hold the sleeping Addy. I missed Sunday School because I was nursing a baby.
And then the fun really began. As some of you know, I was called to serve in the Relief Society Presidency the Sunday before Addy's birth. (Relief Society is the women's organization for our church.) My primary role is to insure that Sunday meetings go as planned with teachers, lessons and music all set up. I was conducting the meeting today and was able to make it through the announcements. The highlight during my making the announcements was that I could not think of the word youth and announced, "The Young People will have a temple trip on Tuesday." I don't know who fits into the category of young people.
After making the announcements I thought we would have to forgo the practice song to make time for the lesson. So I turned to the pianist who I thought was giving the lesson today and asked if she needed more time for her lesson. The startled stare in response was my first clue that something wasn't right (due to a misunderstanding she thought she was teaching next week and I assumed that everything was all set for today. Totally my fault.) So we decided to sing the hymn while I thought of what to do for a lesson. ( I had read the lesson the night before and it was a difficult one on John the Baptist and there was no way that I was going to be able to teach it on the fly)Fortunately my smart friend Sarah suggested that we have a discussion of Conference and let people share their thoughts. BRILLIANT! So that is what we did and it turned out to be good.
Except for the part when I was standing up in front and saw the door open in the back. There was my friend K1 with my son who was supposed to be in nursery. My same friend Sarah jumped up to go see if Jack needed a diaper change. When she came back with the diaper, I knew it was something else. After I finished the lesson and sat down she informed me that Jack had been kicked out of nursery for pushing. Are you kidding me? Yep, I'm the mother of the child who is pushing in nursery.
It all started when we woke up late for our first day back to church. We made it on time and even had a little time to spare but I arrived stressed. Jack made it through the sacrament and then started to melt. He and I spent the rest of the time wandering the halls and eventually meeting up with the other kids in the primary room to wait out the meeting. Ryan got to hold the sleeping Addy. I missed Sunday School because I was nursing a baby.
And then the fun really began. As some of you know, I was called to serve in the Relief Society Presidency the Sunday before Addy's birth. (Relief Society is the women's organization for our church.) My primary role is to insure that Sunday meetings go as planned with teachers, lessons and music all set up. I was conducting the meeting today and was able to make it through the announcements. The highlight during my making the announcements was that I could not think of the word youth and announced, "The Young People will have a temple trip on Tuesday." I don't know who fits into the category of young people.
After making the announcements I thought we would have to forgo the practice song to make time for the lesson. So I turned to the pianist who I thought was giving the lesson today and asked if she needed more time for her lesson. The startled stare in response was my first clue that something wasn't right (due to a misunderstanding she thought she was teaching next week and I assumed that everything was all set for today. Totally my fault.) So we decided to sing the hymn while I thought of what to do for a lesson. ( I had read the lesson the night before and it was a difficult one on John the Baptist and there was no way that I was going to be able to teach it on the fly)Fortunately my smart friend Sarah suggested that we have a discussion of Conference and let people share their thoughts. BRILLIANT! So that is what we did and it turned out to be good.
Except for the part when I was standing up in front and saw the door open in the back. There was my friend K1 with my son who was supposed to be in nursery. My same friend Sarah jumped up to go see if Jack needed a diaper change. When she came back with the diaper, I knew it was something else. After I finished the lesson and sat down she informed me that Jack had been kicked out of nursery for pushing. Are you kidding me? Yep, I'm the mother of the child who is pushing in nursery.
So that was our first day back at church. I think I will move to Australia.
But really, even on my bestest days I would love to be back in Sydney. So I guess it wasn't that bad after all.
But really, even on my bestest days I would love to be back in Sydney. So I guess it wasn't that bad after all.




7 comments:
Oh you poor girl. I feel your pain big time. It sounds like you handeled it well. Don't move to Australia. You would be missed way too much! It will get easier. I promise.
Amy you did an amazing job in RS. No one would have known that wasn't planned for RS. It will get better, I promise.
Full blame belongs soley on the hormones. You will be back in full force in no time!
I'm sorry you had such a bad Sunday. Some days I'd like to move to Australia too. Do you think we could be neighbors?
Oh man! I thought the no-lesson scare was bad enough, and it just kept getting worse. Kicked out of nursery--that is hilarious! (Or at least it will be, one day.) You deserve a trip to Australia--or at least an afternoon off, with no young people!
how did I miss this post. I feel your pain. Remind me to tell you about the time I was conducting and we had a RS general board member visiting...DISASTER!!
Both Suzy and Shala raved about your poise and composure during the whole lesson fiasco. So, don't move to Australia. Adam and Jack will have a grand time pushing each other in nursery.
Post a Comment